Price: R1,600,000Year: 1953
This 1953 Jaguar XK 120 FHC was first registered in left hand drive form in the USA and despatched from the factory on the 10th of March 1953. From there it was imported back into the UK by Norfolk Classic Cars during March 1990 and thence sold to Marcos Cars in Monkstown, Southern Dublin two months later. It was bought and owned by a Mr C P Hone in Dublin until 2002. From there it was acquired by Twyford Moors, the recognisd Jagaur XK dealer in Hampshire UK, who sold it to Jonathan Mayne in October 2003. During its life in Ireland it was converted to right hand drive and had an engine change. The engine has been identified by Twyford Moors per accompanying letter as a correct engine from a later car.
Arriving at Cape Town docks just before Christmas of 2003, it was entrusted to Jaguar Classic Restorations in Epping Industria for a lengthly nut and bolt restoration. In typical restorative style, much work was repeated until suitable standards were achieved. Final detailing and commissioning was undertaken by an ex aircraft engineer employed by SG Classic Cars in Killarney Gardens CT. It has since passed hands from Jonathan to its current owner and now represents as one of the finest examples of its marque in absolute concours condition finished in Imperial Maroon with grey leather trim. The car was upgraded during the last restoration with the fitment of rack and pinion steering and the "Gatsby" style broad white-wall tyres. Winner in its class of the Dennis Appleby Trophy at the Concours d' Etat in 2014.